Low and slow cooked pulled pork piled high on some tortillas then topped with coleslaw, avocado cream, and queso fresco.
Taco Monday! That’s a thing, right?! I mean, I feel like it needs to be. We can’t just always have tacos on Tuesday. Monday needs some taco love too.
I love tacos… there is literally an endless number of combinations and things that you can put on your taco and it will still be good. And how can you go wrong with pulled pork, coleslaw, and avocado cream?
Uh… you can’t!
This pulled pork is simmered low and slow in a crock pot with some beer (everything is better with beer) and then shredded. It falls apart so easily with just two forks that you don’t even need to do anything fancy to shred this meat. Which is how shredded meat should be.
For these tacos I used flour tortillas, but you are welcome to use corn. Usually I’m a corn tortilla kinda gal but I had some flour in the pantry form when the hubby was making quesadillas not too long ago and figured those would be fine instead of rushing to the store just for corn tortillas.
Top the tortillas with shredded pork, then a little cabbage or coleslaw and that avocado cream. Oh to die! I really think the avocado cream is the star of this dish, it makes for a creamy and light finish to these tacos. Then the added crumbled queso fresco cheese… ah.
I need more of these in my life like now.
See, can’t go wrong with tacos.
Pulled Pork Tacos w/Avocado Cream
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz light beer
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- queso fresco crumbled
- avocados diced
- 6 small corn or flour tortillas
- In a slow cooker, place pork roast and rub with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Pour beer over top, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove lid and shred pork with two forks or pair of tongs. Toss well with beer then cover and cook for additional 15-30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Place avocado, lime juice, sour cream, and cilantro in food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble tacos by adding pork to each flour tortilla. Top with cabbage, then drizzle with avocado cream, and finish off by adding few extra chunks of diced avocado and crumbling queso fresco on top.