Slow cooked turkey with Asian inspired spices for a lettuce wrap that is sure to please!
It's memorial day weekend! I am excited to spend some time this weekend outside with my girls playing, having a bonfire, and laying on the back deck just soaking up some rays. Usually memorial day weekend is spent grilling on the barbeque but my husband is working all weekend (boo) and I'm not much of a griller. So instead, I'm throwing things in the crock pot in the morning and letting dinner cook itself so I can spend more time with my girls!
I love my slow cooker. Though I don't really use it that often, and I should, but I still love it. It makes dinners super simple because all you have to do is throw everything in, turn it on, and go about your day. When it's dinner time you don't have to think about it, it's already done. This makes it perfect for fun filled days like this weekend so that I don't have to come home from doing something and then think about what to make for dinner. Yay for simplicity.
Asian Style Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Place ground turkey in 5-7 quart slow cooker with garlic and cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low for additional 2 hours.
- Stir in water chestnuts, cooked rice, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Cook for additional 20 minutes.
- Serve mixture warm in lettuce wraps and garnished with green onions.
Adapted from Cooking Classy