Chocolate Protein Pancakes that are light and amazingly healthy for you. Topped with a little powdered sugar and strawberries and it's the perfect way to start your day!
Pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods. I seriously could eat pancakes everyday if you let me… or if someone else was willing to do the dishes after I made them.
I’m good with either.
So it’s probably no surprise that pancakes aren’t the healthiest breakfast food around. Really there aren’t many indulgent breakfast foods that are healthy and even as a fitness coach, I find that trying to provide the best for my family is not always an easy task.
Yes, I do try and set a good example by working out daily and eating a mostly healthy diet but of course there are meals where we indulge. However, most of the time I do try and cook healthy meals for us. Even if it means creating healthy things out of foods that my kids don’t think it’s possible to make healthy. Like pancakes…
Now, I’ve been on a quest to find a great protein powder that would translate to great food for quite some time and I think I finally found it with Vega Essentials. I love protein powders that are much more versatile than just making a shake with. I mean, there is nothing wrong with using it for that but with my food blogging and fitness coaching businesses, and also trying to lead and set a healthy example for my kids, it’s nice to have something that I can do more with.
Plus, at only 130 calories per serving, it makes living a healthy, active lifestyle a cinch
Healthy chocolate pancakes have been on my to-do list for quite some time and I am finally getting to share them with you today! When I first started making these, my oldest stuck her nose up at them, of course, until I told her they would be chocolate. Then those big blue eyes sprung open and she sat at the breakfast bar waiting in anticipation.
She was still hesitant because I attached the word “healthy” and “protein” to them. What kid likes healthy and protein in the same sentence with the title of their food? Not many. But after tasting the first bite she devoured an entire stack and I ended up having to make a double batch because she only left 2 for me and the baby. I made a second batch and we sat and ate them all together. She was full until well-past lunch and I was satisfied that she got something “healthy” and “protein” packed to start her busy day of running outside with the neighbor kids.
Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- powdered sugar optional
- diced strawberries optional
- Preheat griddle or skillet to medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add eggs, bananas, and oats to blender. Blend on low for 15-30 seconds until oats are ground and bananas are fully mashed.
- Add protein powder, cocoa powder, and cinnamon and blend again on low for additional 30-45 seconds until smooth.
- Drop by 1/4 cup full onto pre-heated griddle and cook until bubbles begin to form and edges are just setting. Flip and cook through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh strawberries and little powdered sugar, if desired.
- Leftover pancakes can be kept in plastic baggies in freezer until ready to use, then just pop in toaster to reheat.