Fluffy belgian style waffles coated in a cinnamon sugar topping for the ultimate churro style breakfast.
I have to say that I think breakfast might be my most favorite meal of the day. I love all breakfast food and there really is nothing better than a big stack of hot pancakes or waffles, in this case, first thing in the morning.
Unless, of course, you're like my husband and don't really enjoy sweet stuff or breakfast food. I mean, seriously.. how is that even possible?
Anyway, it feels like it's been quite some time since I've made breakfast for this little bloggity blog I have here so I thought it was high time to post something new.
Though the last 4 breakfast posts I did were waffles… meh, I'm gunna go with it because I made some churro waffles, y'all!
Churros are a big favorite of mine. Ya know, being art Mexican and all. So I though it only fitting to try and get that same churro flavor in some sweet waffles.
They turned out fantastic. I used a basic waffles recipe and then just added the delish cinnamon sugar topping while the waffles were still warm so they would soak up all the goodness. You really don't even need any extra syrup or anything, unless you want it, but these waffles stand on their own.
Go ahead and make some this weekend. I promise you won't be disappointed.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Add eggs, milk, melted butter, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Scoop batter by 1/3 cupfuls (or more depending on your waffle iron) onto waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- In small bowl or shallow baking dish add the 1/4 cup melted butter. In seperate small bowl or shallow baking dish, add cinnamon and sugar for topping and mix together.
- When waffles are finished cooking, dip them in butter being sure to coat all sides and then toss them in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Shake off excess and enjoy!