Red velvet muffins with a swirl of cream cheese and crispy, crumb topping.
I took a nap yesterday. It was epic.
I haven't taken a nap during the day in a long time but for some reason I just felt like lying down after putting the baby down for her nap. Next thing I know it's 2.5 hours later. I must've been exhausted because I woke up feeling so much more refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day. I really think that these early, 5:30am, wake up are starting to drain me. That along with my hubby begging to stay up with him at night to watch a movie. Which usually ends in me passed out on the couch. I started a lot of movies… but have just never made it to the end of them.
Only a month or so left of school and then I don't have to get up so early anymore. I will still get up early, just not at 5:30. Maybe more like 7ish. See I have to do this because it's so much easier to get my workout done in the morning before everyone wakes up. And it's really the only “me” time I have during the day. Unless you count the 2.5 hour nap yesterday. Still epic.
Side note… I can't believe I just typed out that there was only a month or so left of school. Then I had to check the calendar and see. There really is only about a month and a half left of school. Uh, where has this year gone? And it was apparently snowing yesterday? It's April mother nature… get your stuff together. I'm ready for warm weather, the beach, and outside BBQ's. Which is exactly what I made these muffins for… when it was warm a few weeks ago.
These muffins were a huge hit and the first “dessert” that everyone devoured. They were so bright and cheerful that you can't help but want to dive right in and eat all of them.
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin pan by lining with liners or spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Crumb topping - In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, and using a fork, cut the butter in until you have coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Cream cheese mixture - In another bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- Fold cream cheese mixture into the muffin batter, being careful to not overmix, you want some streaks of cream cheese still in the mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin, filling each about 2/3 full. Evenly sprinkle crumb topping over each muffin.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Averie Cooks