Quick and simple soup that is still hearty, delicious, and packed with sausage and cheese tortellini.
Happy Friday! It's been quite a busy week for me here and I couldn't be more excited that it's finally Friday! Mostly because the fam and I are heading out to go on vacation first thing in the morning. Week-long vacation to Florida to visit the rest of the fam! So as you can imagine I have been busy trying to get everything ready and packed and the house cleaned because who wants to come home to a dirty house? Not this girl.
This vacation is long-overdue and we are making the most of it. We've got a trip to Disney planned and since my parents just moved into a new house on the lake, a few days boating on the lake too. And without fail, every time we get ready to go on vacation I always start feeling super-overwhelmed with getting ready to go. There is always so much to do. Or is it just me? I feel like I've been running around this house and town like a mad-woman making sure we have everything. Packing for yourself and two kids is a lot of work.
What I haven't been fussing over too much lately is dinner. With all the preparations for the trip, I have just been getting dinner together as quick and effortless as I can. Some days the family approves, and others they are like, “what is she feeding us?” Fortunately, this soup is not one of those “what is she feeding us?” moments, this soup is kid tested and husband approved!
Bertolli has been a staple in my pantry for years and when I saw that they came out with their new Riserva line recently, I knew I had to give it a try. This month also just happens to be Bertolli's 150th birthday and that is definitely something worth celebrating! So they are celebrating and we are too.
Bertolli is passionate about helping feed needy and hungry children so they have partnered with No Kid Hungry and will be making $1 donations for each photo you share on social media using the hashtag #MyTuscanTable. Each dollar provides 10 healthy meals for kids in America. That is a huge deal! No Kid Hungry is helping to end childhood hunger in America and Bertolli is proud to use it's passion for uniting people over food to help kids who are struggling with hunger and getting the nutritious meals they need to grow.
Now back to this cozy soup… instead of just making a regular pasta and sauce dish, I wanted to try something different. It's been quite cold here lately, like in the 40s in the mornings and evenings, so a cozy, warm soup sounded perfect. Add in some tortellini and sausage and you have yourself a meal that is filling and takes the fall/winter chill right away. It was also nice to sit and enjoy time with my family at the dinner table this time instead of sitting at the counter.
Sausage & Tortellini Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (24 oz) can pasta sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen tortellini
- 1 (14 oz) package smoked sausage sliced
- In a large stock pot add olive oil and diced onion. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Increase temperature to medium-high and add diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, and vegetable broth; bring to boil.
- Add frozen tortellini and sausage; and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until tortellini and sausage are tender and heated through; tortellini will begin to rise to the top of the pot.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with some parmesan cheese and basil, if desired.