Make your own bánh mì at home by pickling your own veggies and making some sriracha mayo.
I didn't discover the deliciousness of the bánh mì until just recently. I had heard of them before and saw them featured on some of my favorite Food Network shows but had never had the chance to try one.
That all changed when we went to dinner a few weeks ago at one of our favorite breweries. They change their menu frequently with the seasons and, I guess, to keep people coming back.
Which totally makes sense… why would I want to continue visiting the same restaurant over and over if nothing changed and they only had the same things on the menu every time?
Anyway, they had this turkey bánh mì on the menu when we went and I did not hesitate in making that my dinner for the night. It was just as delicious as I imagined and had seen on TV so many times before. With all the pickled veggie goodness and the hint of heat with the sriracha mayo.
mmmmm… makes my mouth water all over again just thinking about it.
So after our visit and consequent obsession of the bánh mì, I had to try and recreate this goodness at home. Fortunately for me, my good friend and blogger, Whitney over at That Square Plate, had a bánh mì recipe that I could mimic and use to recreate the turkey bánh mì that I had at the brewery.
She actually has two different bánh mì recipes and I will be trying them both, but for now I had to recreate the one that made me fall in love. And it turned out just perfectly!
The pickled veggie recipe makes quite a lot so you will be able to have multiple bánh mì's for a few days or be able to feed a crowd.
Turkey Bánh mì
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups radishes shredded
- 1 cup carrot shredded
- 1 cucumber sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 lb thick sliced turkey
- 8 deli rolls
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add both vinegars, sugar, and salt. Stir and heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add all vegetables and stir to combine. Pour vinegar mixture over top and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add mayo, sriracha, and sesame oil to bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Brush top and bottom hoagie rolls with a little sriracha mayo and heat over skillet or grill until just golden brown.
- Assemble the sandwiches by topping bottom bun with sliced turkey, then vegetables, then a little more sriracha mayo (if desired) and finishing with top bun.
Inspired by That Square Plate