Break out your slow cooker and try a different twist on a classic gyro.
I whole-heartedly believe that slow cookers are the best thing to use during the summer months. Of course you can use them during the winter, too, to make yummy soups and stews and such… but during the summer is when mine gets the most use actually. I love to be able to prep and throw dinner in the crock pot while I'm cooking breakfast for the kiddos and enjoying my morning coffee. It just makes things so much simpler because then we can go out enjoy the beach or the playground or whatever and I'm not left checking my watch every 5 minutes worried about getting home in enough time to make dinner. It's already done.
Yesterday was supposed to be a beach day. The weather, so they say, was supposed to be amazing… sunny and 75 degrees. Perfect. We woke up ready to take on the day. I had coffee brewed, breakfast made, and all our beach gear packed and ready to go. Looked out the window and there was a slight haze and cloud cover. Hmmm…. ok. Let's see if it passes and then we'll head to the beach then.
In the meantime, I started getting dinner ready knowing we would probably be at the beach later than originally planned.
After finishing these pulled pork gyros for dinner later, we saw that there was still cloud cover and it was only 65 degrees outside. We waited a few more hours and it didn't look like the cloud cover was going anywhere. So we made it a movie day instead.
Even though our beach day plans didn't work out like we wanted, I at least had dinner made. Big plus in my book! And I still made time for my kiddos doing fun things so the day wasn't a total loss.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Gyros
- 2 1/2 lb pork loin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion quartered
For the gyro assembly:
- 6 pita bread
- 1 cup coleslaw
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture over pork loin.
- Place seasoned pork loin, garlic, onion, and 1 cup of water into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- After it is finished cooking, remove pork loin from slow cooker and shred meat. Return to slow cooker with juices and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Cover and cook for additional 30 minutes on low.
- Assemble gyros by topping each pita bread with pulled pork, coleslaw, tomatoes, then avocados. Serve immediately.