Homemade version of a classic honey chicken take-out recipe - made in less than 30 minutes.
Happy Wednesday, lovelies! I've got another at-home take-out recipe for you today and it is for one of my favorite things to order when we get some Chinese take-out… Sticky Honey Chicken.
Yes, I know that I say all of the Chinese take out is my favorite and to be honest, it really is. I don't think there is anything on the menu that I couldn't order and wouldn't like.
Wait… take that back. I'm not a fan of egg drop soup.
But everything else is delish! So of course I am going to try and make some of those take out recipes here at home since we don't have a decent chinese place anywhere close to where we live now. Hopefully that will change when we move in just 2 short years! I'm so over the snow and ready to move back to warmer weather…
Anyway… this recipe is one of my kids favorites. Because, ya know, kids love sweet things and this has just the right amount of sweet with the honey to make them clean their plate. Without me having to tell them multiple times to finish eating – which happens more often than not. Because kids are kids and they will try and fight with you on everything and sometimes take 239523 hours to finish their meal.
But not with this one. I always have to make a double or triple batch so that there is enough for them to enjoy because they always ask for seconds. Plus, leftovers the next day for lunch. Always a bonus!
Sticky Honey Chicken
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
In large skillet or stockpot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add flour and buttermilk to two seperate bowls.
- One at a time, dredge chicken pieces into flour, then buttermilk, then back into flour. Add chicken to skillet, 4-5 at a time, and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. water.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine, honey, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and sesame oil. Whisk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and whisk in cornstarch mixture until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and, working in batches, coat cooked chicken with glaze.
Serve immediately with rice.