These baked, not fried, donuts are the perfect weekend treat with their delicious apple cider caramel glaze.
Donuts are my jam. I just love them so much but unfortunately they are a treat that is few and far between for this family – that is until I started making my own homemade donuts.
My kids absolutely love it when I make donuts. They go crazy and a dozen never lasts more than a couple hours in our house.
Sometimes they even get eaten before I am able to add a topping or glaze to them.
I still do love my original glazed Krispy Kreme donuts but there is not a donut shop anywhere near us.
Seriously, sometimes I feel so deprived because there is just so little in our little town.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love our little town but it does kind of get annoying to have to drive so far sometimes just to go to a good restaurant or get some of the favorite treats that I grew up with on every street corner.
Fortunately, this situation is only temporary and we will eventually be moving back to a bigger-ish city.
Hopefully. At least that’s the plan.
Anyway, since it’s beginning to get cooler outside with the arrival of fall and apple cider being all over the store shelves recently, I thought it would be a good idea to make an apple cider donut.
We just introduced our youngest to apple cider (which she affectionately calls apple spider) and she was in love at first sip.
So why not take that and make it into a donut?
These gorgeous apple cider donuts are perfect on their own without anything but I also made an apple cider caramel glaze to go with them and it just takes them over the top!
The glaze really adds to that apple cider flavor and the soft fluffiness of the donut just makes these the perfect weekend treat. Or weekday treat… whichever.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar.
- Add melted butter, apple cider, honey, and eggs and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into piping bag or gallon bag with corner cut off and pipe into prepared donut pan.
- Bake at 400° F for 8-10 minutes or until donuts are done. Remove from oven and let cool completely on cooling rack.
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring apple cider to boil and reduce by 1/2; about 10 minutes.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and cream and continue boiling for additional 10 minutes whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cornstarch to thicken caramel sauce. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Take cooled donuts and dip one side into the warm caramel then place back on cooling rack. Serve immediately.