Perfect apple pancakes made healthy into apple cinnamon protein pancakes that are perfect for any morning.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of hearty breakfasts.
Not necessarily a big breakfast, but something that is satisfying and will fill me up and last a few hours before I’m up and reaching in the pantry or fridge for something else to eat.
I feel like a big batch of protein pancakes or waffles are usually what I go to when I’m looking for something like that.
I love making large batches and then freezing them so that I can just pop them in the toaster or microwave on busy, school mornings and still feel satisfied.
These apple cinnamon protein pancakes are perfect for just that reason. If you don’t end up eating them all first – like I did.
I did end up making another batch because they were that good and I let those ones cool then popped them in plastic baggies and placed them in the freezer.
I actually ate a few this morning for breakfast after heating them up in the toaster.
The toaster method of heating is my favorite because it gives them a warm, soft center and a crispy outside just like if you were to pull them fresh off the hot griddle.
I’ve got probably enough to last me until Thursday this week and then I’ll have to figure out some more pancake or waffles to make this weekend and for the freezer next week.
- 1 medium apple peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat saucepan over medium heat and add diced apples, water, and cinnamon. Stir to combine then cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes until apples are soft.
- Preheat electric griddle to medium-high and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together protein powder, oats, coconut flour, baking powder, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add egg whites, applesauce, and almond milk and mix until just combined.
- Scoop by 1/4 cupful onto hot griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and bubbles begin to form on top. Flip and continue cooking until done; about another 2-3 minutes.
- Top with diced apples and serve immediately.