Slow cooked ground turkey in a blend of Asian inspired spices then piled high in a wrap of lettuce.
It’s memorial day weekend! I am excited to spend some time this weekend outside with my girls playing, having a bonfire, and laying on the back deck just soaking up some rays.
Usually memorial day weekend is spent grilling on the barbeque but my husband is working all weekend (boo) and I’m not much of a griller.
So instead, I’m throwing things in the crock pot in the morning and letting dinner cook itself so I can spend more time with my girls!
I love my slow cooker. Though I don’t really use it that often, and I should, but I still love it. It makes dinners super simple because all you have to do is throw everything in, turn it on, and go about your day.
When it’s dinner time you don’t have to think about it, it’s already done.
This makes it perfect for fun filled days like this weekend so that I don’t have to come home from doing something and then think about what to make for dinner.
Yay for simplicity.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups white rice cooked
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Serve and Garnish
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- In a 5-7 quart slow cooker, add turkey and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and break apart meat. Cover and cook additional 2 hours on low.
- Stir in cooked rice, rice vinegar and sesame oil; cover again and cook for additional 20 minutes to warm through.
- Serve immediately in lettuce wraps topped with green onions.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in 5-6 qt. stock pot over medium-high. Add onion and bell pepper and cook 4-5 minutes until onion is slightly translucent and bell pepper is soft.
- Add garlic and ground turkey and stir to combine. Cook 6-8 minutes, breaking apart while cooking, until turkey is cooked through.
- Add hoisin, say sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil and stir to combine. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add cooked rice. Stir thoroughly to combine and cook additional 1-2 minutes just to make sure rice is warmed through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately on lettuce wraps topped with green onions.