Classic seafood gumbo made with sausage, bacon and shrimp in a thick and spicy broth that is a dish the whole family will love.
Gumbo from scratch you ask?
New Orleans flavor is timeless and difficult to replicate unless you follow a few easy instructions.
If you have a little bit of prep time and are patient, you can cook this dish and impress everyone.
The level of heat you can adjust for your audience.
I used little to no heat as the kids seem to really love this dish – and this one.
You have to make a roux which is the tricky part, but if done right it really comes out nice.
You can use the roux to make the base for all kinds of dishes, and also to make a base for gravy.
- 1 lb bacon diced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups frozen okra
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp filé powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs andouille sausage sliced
- 2 lbs shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cups white rice cooked
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until done and crispy; about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from pot with slotted spoon leaving grease in bottom of pot.
- Add unsalted butter and flour and whisk to combine and form a roux. Cook stirring frequently, until the roux is medium-brown in color; about 20 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and okra. Cook, stirring often, until slightly soft; about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, filé powder, tomato paste, and bay leaves and stir to thoroughly combine. Whisk in Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour. Add shrimp and sausage and simmer for additional 10 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
- Add rice and bacon and stir to combine and cook just to heat through; about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with garnish of chopped green onions or parsley.