Simple and delicious popcorn style chicken that is rolled in panko breadcrumbs and baked to crispy perfection.
I’m sharing French’s® in my life as part of a sponsored series for Socialstars™ #FrenchsCrowd #FrenchsMustard #FrenchsKetchup
This summer has been packed full of activities and we have been going, what feels like non-stop.
I said a while back that since this was more-than-likely going to be our last full summer here in Michigan, I wanted to soak up every minute of it I could. And I have been doing just that.
My mom came to visit for just about 2 months and we did tons of things together… headed to the Farmers Market, Antiques on the Bluff, wineries, breweries, to the beach, and she went to Traverse City for a while.
After she left, the fun just kept coming.
I started hanging out with another friend a little more and we’ve been to the beach, the carousel, splash pad, and just went to the county fair last week.
All of these things I have not done, despite the fact that I have been living here for 4 years.
Why did I never do any of these things before?
Anyway, now I’m seeing all these back to school ads on TV and moms posting pictures of their kids heading back to school already.
There is a part of me that envy’s them because I am so ready for my oldest to start school again but there is also a big part of me that is grateful that we don’t actually start school until a couple weeks from now and after labor day.
However, in preparation for school coming up I have been testing out a few recipes for the kiddos for snack when Alyssa gets home every day. One of which has been this super easy baked popcorn chicken.
It’s crazy that she’s such a picky eater but my 3-year-old has such an eclectic palate and will literally try anything that you put in front of her.
Lately she’s been asking for mustard only to dip her hot dogs and french fries in. I don’t even know who’s decision it was to give her mustard as an option for the first time but I’ll take it.
So I made these just for her to dip into her favorite French’s ketchup, mustard, and honey mustard.
I don’t mind that she loves mustard now and will delightfully give it to her anytime she asks because I always use French’s, which is 100% natural, #1 Grade mustard seeds and nothing artificial.
The honey mustard is what she used to devour these baked pop corn chicken bites and the occasional dip in the classic French’s Tomato Ketchup with no high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, or artificial flavors or colors.
So grab your own French’s mustard or ketchup dipping and whip your kids a batch of these for after school snacks. Your kids will thank you!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients and whisk to combine. Add chicken and stir to coat all chicken pieces. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, preheat oven to 400° F and spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place all crumb coating ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- When chicken is done marinating, drain buttermilk mixture. Working in batches, dredge chicken pieces in panko crumb pressing to coat all sides.
- Place dredged chicken onto single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken at 400° F for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with a tad more salt, to taste, then let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.