Sweet-tart flavor of blackberries and orange are offset with a little heat from a serrano pepper infused tequila.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Also, Taco Tuesday and Tequila Tuesday! Haha!
Since it is Cinco de Mayo I thought it only appropriate to bring you another margarita cocktail today to go with any of the other taco recipes I have here.
This latest cocktail is so delicious and has a slight hint of heat from a Serrano pepper that is soaked in the tequila for about an hour before mixing. I’ve always wanted to make a spicy cocktail and this one turned out just perfect.
For this blackberry orange jalapeno margarita you’re going to need just 1 serrano pepper, some tequila, fresh blackberries, orange juice, and lime juice. If you want to offset the heat a little more, add more agave nectar to balance out the heat and flavors.
Start by slicing the serrano pepper lengthwise and adding to the bottom of a glass or cocktail shaker. Muddle it lightly with the tequila then let it soak for about an hour.
The longer you soak it the more heat you’ll have in the tequila. I ended up soaking mine for about 2 1/2 hours because I got busy with the kids and work.
Haha… woops! But it turned out to have a nice kick of heat.
While the pepper is soaking, add the blackberries, orange juice, lime juice, and agave nectar to a blender. Blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds, then strain through a fine mesh strainer to discard the seeds and pulp.
After letting the serrano pepper soak, strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard the pepper solids. Stir the tequila into the blackberry orange mixture.
Rim a glass with a lime wedge to wet and dip it into a shallow dish of salt. Fill the glass full of fresh crushed ice and add the cocktail mixture. Stir slightly to chill and garnish with extra serrano pepper and blackberries.
This cocktail makes 3 servings but you could definitely scale it up for a party and just have the mixture ready to go in the blender or a pitcher for friends to serve themselves. Ya know, when we can have friends together again.
- 6 oz blanco tequila
- 1 serrano pepper halved lengthwise
- 12 oz blackberries fresh
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- kosher salt for rim
- serrano pepper
- In a small bowl or cup, add tequila and serrano pepper. Lightly muddle and let stand for 1 hour to infuse flavors.
- After an hour, strain through fine sieve and discard solids.
- Add the blackberries, orange juice, lime juice, and agave to a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until smooth.
- Strain through fine mesh sieve into a pitcher and discard solids. Stir in infused tequila.
- Using a lime wedge, rim glass with lime and dip edge of glass into kosher salt. Fill with crushed ice and pour cocktail over top.
- Garnish with additional serrano pepper, if desired, and a couple of fresh blackberries.