Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me!
Yes, today is my birthday and I’m excited to share these gorgeous blue velvet cupcakes with you!
I’m not too excited it’s my birthday, as now I’m another year older and getting closer to my 40s… Eek! But whatevs —
I do love celebrating birthdays with my family, my own included, but definitely more so now that I have kiddos.
I love to see their faces light up in the morning when they come downstairs to the presents on the mantle or the balloons and streamers and cake when they come home from school.
And they truly love to help celebrate my birthdays with me. Which, of course, makes them even more special – no matter how old I get. haha
Even though I currently have gestational diabetes, I’m going to treat myself to a little cupcake action. I mean, one little cupcake never hurt anyone, amiright?
They won’t be these cupcakes, though. As I actually made this particular batch of blue velvet cupcakes that you see here for my bestie’s baby shower back over a year ago.
Yikes, has it really been that long already?!?
Ugh… it must be because she just posted a picture of her and her baby is now 11 months. Ahhhh!
Anyway, these blue velvet cupcakes came because I was the planner of all the food at the baby shower and since she was having a boy, I had to find a way to incorporate blue and boy colors.
These cupcakes turned out perfectly and exactly how I wanted them to; with a soft crumb and moist texture. Then I just topped them with a classic cream cheese frosting and a few sprinkles for fun. Because you can never have too many sprinkles.
So you go ahead and whip up a batch of these cupcakes and I’ll head to my kitchen and make a batch of unfrosted (lame) regular old cupcakes to enjoy for my birthday today.
Blue Velvet Cupcakes
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F and link cupcake pan with paper liners. Spray paper liners with nonstick cooking spray, if desired, so cupcakes don’t stick too much to the liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using electric beaters, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vanilla and vinegar.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, salt, soda, and mix gently (on low) to incorporate. Add milk and stir to combine.
- Add blue food coloring, about 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp to get the desired blue color and stir to distribute color evenly.
- Divide batter equally between 24 cupcake liners then bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes until done and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- While cupcakes are cooling, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 4-5 cups powdered sugar. Beat until desired consistency is reach for frosting.
- If frosting is not stiff enough, add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time beating thoroughly between each addition, until desired stiffness is reached.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!