Creamy, cheesy broccoli cheese soup that is perfect on a snowy winter day... or actually any day!
Broccoli cheese soup is probably one of my all-time favorite soups. Baked potato soup is also right at the top of that list.
There’s just something comforting about a hearty bowl of soup filled with a ton of veggies, bunch of cheese, and a creamy broth. I do, sometimes, like soups with a thinner broth but most of the time I gravitate towards a thick and creamy broth.
Especially in these terrible, terrible cold and snowy winter months.
Broccoli cheese soup is also one of the only soups that I order when I go to Panera Bread. Which has been more frequently now because I have met a few blogger friends that live somewhat close by and we have monthly meetups now to get together and “talk shop.”
It’s super fun and we get out our laptops and help each other with blogging things. We meet at a Panera, sit and talk way too loud, eat their delicious food and pastries, and chat about what works, what doesn’t, and what we want to try with this whole thing we call blogging.
Since Panera can have broccoli cheese soup at any time of the year so can you have this soup any time of the year. It’s just especially delicious during the winter months because it’s so hearty and just warms you to the core. It’s creamy without being too thick and with just the right amount of cheese added.
Plus, there’s bacon… everything’s better with bacon. Amiright?
I added a few extra oyster crackers to mine with this batch and with the next batch, I think I might serve it up in a sourdough bread bowl – Panera style. I’ll have to try my hand at making some bread bowls now that I am getting better at making homemade bread and rolls.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Creamy, cheesy broccoli cheese soup that is perfect on a snowy winter day… or actually any day!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 lb bacon diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 lb broccoli large dice
- 1 Tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, mushrooms, and onions cooking until bacon is browned and onions are translucent and soft.
- Add broccoli, italian seasoning, white wine, and chicken broth. Bring to boil and simmer until broccoli is soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together flour and milk until flour is dissolved. Pour into soup with the heavy cream.
- Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in cheese until just melted.
- Serve immediately.