Soft and chewy cookies made with cake mix and flour to have a slight cake batter taste that everyone will enjoy!
These were a fun cookie to make.
My daughter’s 8th birthday was not too long ago and of course we had a party.
First off, I cannot believe my baby is turning 8. Like seriously where did the time go?!?! I feel like it was just yesterday when I was bringing her home from the hospital and getting used to being a first time mom.
Wah… when did my baby get so big?!
Anyway, for the party I didn’t just want there to be cake and ice cream, ya know, the usual party stuff. I wanted something else fun that everyone would enjoy.
I had a box of cake mix leftover. Yes, I know… boxed cake mix is so passé and that making your own cake is the thing.
But here’s the thing, I’m not yet confident enough in my baking to make my own cake from scratch.
So I had this extra box of mix. I don’t know what I was thinking buying 3 boxes of cake mix for the cake but I did. So I figured I would try and make some cake mix cookies.
I saw a picture on Pinterest of some chocolate chip cake cookies and bingo. That’s what I was going to make.
However, instead of the chocolate chips for the cookies I wanted something a little more whimsical and that matched the theme of the party.
Since her cake was covered in sprinkles and there was rainbow decorations all over I thought that adding funfetti sprinkles instead would be a good fit.
You could totally add chocolate chips though, or whatever you want.
These cookies turned out fantastic, were moist and chewy, tasted just like cake batter, and were one of the first things to be eaten by everyone at the party.
The kids kept sneaking them from the tray and then sprinting back outside to the bouncy house that we had.
Haha… so I’d say these were a win.
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake mix white or yellow
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using electric beaters, cream together butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and beat together, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add flour, cake mix, baking soda, and salt and mix to combine. Stir in sprinkles.
- Scoop dough out by rounded tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.