This beautiful stew comes together in about 30 minutes with diced chicken, soft carrots, and chickpeas.
We made it to the weekend! Or Friday at least.. and my oldest daughter has a snowday today.
I actually am kind of grateful that the school decided to have a snowday today because the wind that has been blowing outside all night and this morning is crazy. They predicted about 30-40 mph winds and they weren’t kidding.
So we’re just going to be hanging out at the house today watching movies, playing games and with toys, and enjoying the warm that is inside. I do enjoy it when the oldest has a snow day because she is such a big help with the baby so that I can get some work done.
Granted it usually only takes a couple hours and then we (the two of us) usually play all day together anyway… but I still feel guilty sometimes when I’m working and the baby is playing by herself, while the oldest is at school.
However, I do wake up at the crack of dawn… 5:30am… to get most of my work done before she wakes up just so that doesn’t happen and I can truly try and focus all my energy on her when she’s awake.
Then when she goes down for a nap, I’ll bang out a few more things on my to-do list and try and squeeze in my workout. If I can’t then she, actually they both, love to try and workout with me and it’s a great influence for them this young to start healthy habits.
But enough of my blathering…
I made this chicken & chickpea stew a couple weekends ago and it was gone in a day. Usually, with the quantity of soup I make at one time, it lasts well into the next day.
But not this one.
The hubs and even both kids (gasp!!) ate copious amounts of this soup – more than one bowl in one sitting and barely left any for me to enjoy.
So I’d say this was a winner in our home and will be keeping it on the menu for these crazy winter months.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 lb carrots peeled and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro minced
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the chicken broth, chickpeas, and tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add the chicken and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat, stir in fresh cilantro leaves and serve.