Super simple enchilada style stew made in the crock pot with chicken, black beans, tomatoes, and corn.
One of my best friends is coming to visit tomorrow and I am so excited! I haven’t seen her since I went to visit her in October last year.
She was supposed to come visit us earlier, sometime in December, but we ended up having a wedding to go to and the timing with my mom coming to watch the girls just didn’t work out for us.
So we planned for a couple months later… even though the beginning of February is usually a pretty snowy time. Good thing she’s used to the snow! Haha
We don’t really have anything planned which is usual for us. We kinds just go with the flow and see what happens… especially with kids… and then make plans from there.
The only thing she has to do is give a lecture on Wednesday to the residents but that will only take a couple hours (with her saying hi to all her old co-workers and friends still here) and will give me a little time to get a little work done.
Whenever people come to visit, I hate going downstairs to get work done while they are here so I usually put it off until after they leave… but since she’s heading out for a little while it’s a perfect time to cram in a few things.
Not that it’s totally necessary.
Anyway, I think I’m going to be making this enchilada stew again for when she comes to visit. Since it’ll be super snowy and cold out it seems like a good idea to make a big pot of stew for us to enjoy for dinner or while vegging out on the couch for the day while letting the kiddos play and run around the house.
This might be one of the easiest stews I’ve made before. You just throw everything into a crockpot and then turn it on and let it cook.
I love recipes that are like that and don’t require me to slave over the stove for hours to make a dinner that will be devoured in less than 10 minutes.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can corn
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese room temperature, large diced
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- In a large, 6 qt, crockpot place chicken breast and cover with enchilada sauce, tomatoes, chili beans, black beans and corn. Stir slightly to combine vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cumin, paprika, and chili powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken stock over top and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Using two forks, shred chicken in crockpot and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Add in the cream cheese, stir, and cover again. Turn temperature to high and cook for additional 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted.
- Stir gently before serving to make sure all the cream cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Serve immediately topped with favorite toppings listed above.