Creamy slow-cooked chicken gnocchi soup made simple in the crockpot with fresh gnocchi, spinach, and a creamy broth.
When I worked at Olive Garden, Chicken Gnocchi Soup and Zuppa Toscana Soup were my two favorites that they had on the menu.
I only worked the day/lunch shift and would always get there early so I could have a bowl of soup before my shift started and while getting the restaurant setup for guests.
I think I’ve talked about it before, but in our small town there aren’t really any chain restaurants – except for Chili’s and Applebee’s. Most are “mom and pop” restaurants or small chain establishments that only have locations in a small part of the country or just in the state of Michigan.
Or it’s a local brewery that also serves their own food.
None of that is a bad thing, of course, and I actually prefer to eat at those local places over a chain place any day.. But there are some days where you just find yourself craving some soup from Olive Garden. Haha
So instead of getting my big ‘ole pregnant self dressed and all the kiddos loaded in the car for a 45 minutes ride to the nearest Olive Garden to just get some soup, I thought it appropriate to make our own.
Plus, now that were fully in the swing of winter here, it’s the perfect time to try out new, cozy soup recipes. Especially since over the past couple weeks we’ve gotten close to 2 feet of snow.
But have no fear… it’s all going to melt by next week because it’s supposed to get close to the 50 degree mark here for a few days.
Yay for not having to snow-blow the driveway every day before the hubby leaves for work.
Back to the soup… I had some gnocchi in the freezer that I just discovered recently and decided to make it into a soup. Instead of my usual cheesy sausage dish – which everyone loves, BTW.
It came out just like I remember it tasting at Olive Garden and I know that this will be a recipe on regular rotation here at our house. Just like the zuppa toscana recipe is because that’s the hubby’s favorite soup.
Bonus, the baby loves gnocchi so that’s always a win.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 lbs gnocchi frozen
- 6 oz baby spinach
- In the crockpot, add the chicken breast, onions, celery, carrots, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- After the 4 (or so) hours have elapsed, take two forks and shred chicken directly in the crockpot.
- Add cornstarch and whisk to incorporate. Pour in heavy cream and add frozen gnocchi and spinach. Stir to combine and cover; cooking for additional 30 minutes on low.
- Stir to combine and make sure that all the spinach is wilted and cooked before serving.