Simple, yet delicious, pasta made with shredded chicken and fresh mushrooms then tossed in a light cream sauce.
I just found out that my best friend listed her house for sale this morning. It makes me sad.
It’s getting more and more real that this residency journey is coming to an end and that everyone will start moving away – again.
We’ve been very fortunate and blessed in the journey and where we have moved. From the sunny beaches of Florida the hubby and I lived originally, to the sweltering dessert that is Arizona, then back again to sunny beaches in South Carolina, and currently in the snowy white north of Michigan.
Each place hold a special place in my heart and has friends to welcome us should we decide to call that place our forever home.
I have also made some of the most amazing friends here in Michigan with Stefan’s residency colleagues and wives. Now that the residency is just about over, in the next month, it’s going to be hard to say goodbye to the ones that are leaving and moving away to their new jobs.
We’re not leaving, just yet, as Stefan accepted a fellowship position with the group here so we will be staying put for the time being.
With Alyssa just starting her 5th grade year, it just made sense to try and stay for a little while longer to have her finish out all her elementary school years at one school instead of having to switch schools between 4th and 5th and then again going into middle school.
As much as I am ready and very happy that the residency journey is over, it is bittersweet that it is coming to an end. Luckily my bestie is just moving a few hours away so it won’t be too hard to just grab a weekend bag, the kids, and take off for a few days to go visit her when she has some time off.
And I’m hoping that where we end up in our forever home will be the same distance away so we can stay friends and watch our kids grow up together – especially now that she just had a new baby.
For now, I’ll be grateful for everything that has happened in the 8 long years of med school and residency and cry later once everyone walks across the final stage of residency graduation.
- 1 lb linguine pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp truffle oil
- Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10-12 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water, and return pasta to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast, season with salt and pepper, and cook, 4-6 minutes per side until chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan and shred chicken with two forks.
- In the same pan, add butter and mushrooms and cook, 4 minutes until mushrooms are slightly soft.
- Add chicken back to pan along with heavy cream and parsley. Stir to combine, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and toss with pasta and 1 cup reserved pasta water.
- Divide evenly among bowls or plates and top each with equal amount of parmesan cheese and truffle oil. Serve immediately.