Make your own pizza at home with homemade pizza dough, a pesto base, shredded chicken, and a huge amount of melty mozzarella cheese.
Vacation is over and it’s time to get back to reality. haha
Last week was my daughter’s spring break and the hubby had a week off work (shocker!!) so we actually took a real vacation. Well, kinda. We just went to Florida to visit family and have a few days of fun in the sun since here it’s still freezing cold.
But a vacation to see family is always fun. Especially when said family lives on a lake in Florida with a ton of water toys (i.e., boats and jet-skis) and the “hotel” is free because they have a guest house that is separate from the main house.
And this momma gets a little break from the kids while grandma and grandpa want to take over parenting for the week.
I’m all for it!
Someday we’ll take a vacation that isn’t back to Florida to see family… but for now, this is still nice and great and I love every minute of it.
But we’re back now and spring break is over and regular routines have begun. Though it is a little more difficult to get up in the morning.
And since I’m still recovering from vacation, I didn’t really feel like making too big a fuss in the kitchen the other night. So I whipped up a simple, but delicious, chicken pesto pizza with a frozen pizza dough that I had.
Because the pizza dough was already made – I make them in batches now – it took all of 3-4 minutes to throw together and just about 15 minutes to cook. Then bam, delicious dinner on the table with minimal work.
Those dinners are always my favorite and the hubby and kids love them – so it’s a win win win for me.
I love making homemade pizza because when I do, I get to put the topping that I want on it. Usually when the hubby orders out he always goes for the one with the most meat.
And it’s not that I don’t love a good pepperoni, sausage, bacon, whatever other kind of meat you can add pizza… it’s just that I do enjoy variety and this chicken pesto pizza is one of my favorites.
The marinara/pizza sauce has been replaced with a layer of pesto and then smothered in shredded chicken and mozzarella cheese. How could you not love that? My meat loving hubby even said it was something that he would eat again. haha… he better because I’ll definitely be making it again.
- Preheat oven to 450° F and allow to heat for full 30 minutes or more. Grease baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. If using a pizza stone (like me) just dust with a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Roll out dough and stipple top to prevent bubbling; place onto baking sheet or baking stone.
- Begin topping pizza by spreading pesto all over dough leaving 2/3 – 3/4 (or more depending on taste) inch for crust.
- Evenly spread shredded chicken over pesto, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 450° F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve immediately.