Classic chicken piccata dish made in a creamy white wine sauce with delicious capers and fresh lemon juice.
We are going on vacation, ladies and gentlemen! A real honest-to-goodness not back to Florida to see family, vacation! I am so excited.
I’ve mentioned before that when we plan vacations, they are usually just back to Florida to see and spend time with family.
And while I absolutely love seeing and spending time with my family… always taking the hubby’s precious vacation time to see them was getting a little old and uneventful.
Yes, going back to see family has it’s perks. Like free babysitting so the hubby and I can do date nights and a free place to stay at the parents’ house but we can’t seriously spend all of our time vacationing in Florida, can we?
So next month the hubby got an unexpected vacation week during his last residency rotation. Apparently he was supposed to get it all along but I was originally under the impression that we had already used it this year.
So yay for that!
Anyway, after talking about it we actually decided to take a little family trip to the Mall of America. Neither of us had ever been there and it’s only a quick 7 hour drive from where we are now, so why not go?
We don’t have to pay for plane tickets for all of the kiddos and it’s a short drive that we can do and get there way before dinner time – if the hubby decides to wake up that morning at a reasonable hour and not noon.
I’m not even sure what made us think about going to the Mall of America either. I want to say that he saw it somewhere and just decided to Google and see how long of a drive it would be. Then we talked about it and boom, done.
So I’m going to be looking at some hotels in the area this week to book – have you ever been there? Have any recommendations?
I’m super excited to go and finally have a little vacation as a family – just enjoying the kids and doing stuff together. Hopefully it will be the first of many more.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high and add butter and olive oil to melt.
- Meanwhile, add 1 cup flour to shallow dish or bowl. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour.
- Add chicken to hot skillet and cook, 3-4 minutes per side, until chicken is almost done. Remove from pan to clean plate.
- Using the same skillet, stir in 2 Tbsp flour and white wine scraping bottom to release browned bits. Add chicken broth and juice from lemon and stir to combine, the reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Re-add chicken back to pan along with capers. Cover and simmer on low for 5-6 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through. Remove chicken to serving platter or individual dishes.
- Whisk in heavy cream into sauce remaining in pan cooking until warmed through. Spoon sauce over top of chicken and serve immediately.