It’s almost the weekend and we’re heading out on a Date Night tonight with some friends! I cannot wait since it’s been so long since we’ve been out of the house.
But before that, I’m sharing these delicious chicken street tacos that I made a few weeks ago.
Well, technically these aren’t “traditional” street tacos since they have extra toppings besides just cilantro and onions – but they can absolutely be made that way along with the Carnitas I made here.
These are a favorite just behind the carnitas and are made super easy in the oven.
Start by preheating your oven to 375° F and spraying an oven-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. I usually use a 13 x 9 for this recipe but any dish that has at least a 2 inch side will work well.
Place the chicken in the dish and squeeze lime juice all over.
In a small bowl, add the seasonings and mix together with a fork or whisk. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken and rub in a little to make sure it’s coated well.
Pour some chicken broth into the dish, to keep it moist and juicy, then cover with foil and place in the heated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F and cooked through.
While the chicken is cooking you can get all your toppings and tortillas ready. For a more traditional street taco, just use chopped cilantro and white onions. If you want to go all out, like I did, then you can do sliced red onion, queso fresco, corn, crema, and just about anything else you want.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Shred the chicken with two forks, while keeping it in the dish to soak up all the juices from baking.
Serve on your favorite corn or flour tortillas with all your favorite toppings.
For these tacos I charred my tortillas just a bit on my gas stove then topped them with chicken, grilled corn, red onions, queso fresco, and cilantro. Then served it with a margarita!
My kids eat them with just meat and cheese and I’m 100% ok with that as long as they eat. Haha!
Have a great weekend – see you next week!
Chicken Street Tacos
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- corn or flour tortillas
- Mexican street corn
- queso fresco crumbles
- Mexican crema
- red onion thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro chopped
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Place the chicken on a sheet pan or in a shallow, oven safe baking dish. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and paprika. Evenly sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the dish then cover with foil. Place in the oven at 375° F for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, get all your toppings ready.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes. Shred using two forks or with some electric beaters. Stir in the juices from the baking pan.
- Scoop chicken on your favorite tortilla shells and top with all your favorite toppings.