Alright, ya’ll… this bread started as just regular ole banana bread. Then it just looked plain and was screaming for me to add something to it. Then I found a giant bag of dark chocolate chunks in the pantry and it was perfect.
I seriously had intentions to post just a regular banana bread, but things happen. See this always happens to me… I just can’t seem to share a “regular” or classic recipe. I’ve already posted a double chocolate chip banana bread, a red velvet banana bread, and now a regular chocolate chunk banana bread.
It is what it is.
Start by preheating your oven to 350° F and greasing a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. You could also line it with parchment paper if you want less cleanup.
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until they are white-ish and fluffy. Add your eggs and milk and mix to thoroughly combine.
Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then add the over-ripe bananas and mash while stirring. The riper the bananas the better. I’m talking basically black skin bananas.
I usually make all my banana breads with bananas that have been over ripened, placed in the freezer for a couple months, then made into banana bread. It just makes for the best bread. I’ve tried less ripe bananas and it just never turns out the way I want it too.
So I always freeze the bananas my kids don’t eat and have been sitting out a little too long. I probably have enough bananas in the freezer for 3 more breads… haha!
Anyway, after mixing everything together, stir in the chocolate chunks and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. If you want, sprinkle a few more chocolate chunks on the top.
Then place in the oven and bake at 350° F for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out almost clean with just a few crumbs attached.
Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rank to finish cooling. As soon as it’s cool to touch, slice yourself a piece and dig in!
You can also, if you want more chocolate, spread some hazelnut spread on it while it’s warm. However, this bread is a prefect treat just the way it is.
Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 medium bananas very ripe
- 1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks divided
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and milk and mix to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix to combine. Stir in very ripe bananas, mashing slightly while mixing, just till incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of the chocolate chunks and stir in.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle top with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chunks.
- Bake at 350° F for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean with just a few crumbs.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire cooling rack to cool completely.