Perfectly moist and delicious cake with a slightly dense yet soft crumb and rich chocolaty flavor and finished with a cream cheese Oreo frosting.
I am about 6 months late for this post but oh well. Story of my life.
I don’t make cake often. When I do it because it’s someone’s birthday. Or it was requested.
This special cake was requested by my babygirl, Alyssa, who turned 10 in September. I am looking at these photos and thinking back and having all the feels and tears that my first baby is already 10 years old.
I cannot believe it. Where did the time go?!?! How was it that more than 10 years ago I had a child and now she’s turning into a bratty pre-teen?!?
Anyway, even though she turned 10 we didn’t actually have a big party for her. We gave her a choice, like we do every year, to either have a party or go somewhere fun with the family… kind of like a mini vacation. Sometimes she picks party and sometimes she picks mini-vacation. This year she really wanted to go to Dave & Busters.
Well, we don’t live anywhere close to a Dave & Busters. The closest to us is in Chicago. So I made her this Chocolate Oreo Cake to celebrate her actual birthday, which landed on a Wednesday last year, and told her we would take her to Dave & Busters on the next weekend the hubby had time off.
He happened to have a free weekend that next upcoming weekend and off we went. Her and the hubby played as many video games as they could in about 4 hours while I just hung out and watched.
I’m not much of a video game person, so going to play video games all day wasn’t really my cup of tea. But I still had a good time and we went and took her for a celebratory birthday dinner afterwards.
Plus, the day wasn’t about me. It was about her and she thoroughly enjoyed her 10th birthday and birthday weekend.
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 package Oreo cookies crushed
- Preheat oven to 325° F and spray (or butter) 3 6″ round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave; heating for 30 seconds at a time and stirring in between until chips are completely melted. Stir in 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil.
- In large mixing bowl, or stand mixer, combine remaining eggs, oil, and sour cream. Add sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine.
- Stir in melted chocolate chip/oil mixture and then stir in flour. Make sure to not over-mix.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared baking pans and bake at 325° F for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 15 minutes then invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cakes are baking and cooling, add about 2 cups of Oreo cookies to food processor and process until they are fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl with electric beaters, or the bowl of a stand mixer, add cream cheese and butter and cream together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add crushed Oreo cookies and turn mixer to high and beat until stiff and desired thickness.
- Once cake is cool, level and decorate as desired.