Gorgeous and delicious chocolate cupcakes with added red wine for a sweet and decadent dessert!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EntertainandPair #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
Award season is upon us ladies and gents and it’s probably one of my favorite “seasons.”
Not sure what I’m talking about?? The movie and music awards… silly. I love award season and whenever there is one on TV you can always catch me on the couch watching with anticipation and a glass of wine.
Usually I’m watching them by myself but this year I wanted to do a little something different. I decided to have a little girls get together for a red carpet viewing and decided to make some red wine cupcakes to go with the festivities.
I figured the Dreaming Tree wines would be the perfect complement to these delish cupcakes since they are made from a collaboration of Dave Matthews and Sean McKenzie – and Dave Matthews himself would probably be in attendance on the red carpet.
Dreaming Tree Wines were launched as a collection of approachable, high-quality California wine in the fall of 2011. They have a large selection including Chardonnay, an “Everyday” white blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, “Crush” red blend, Pinot Noir, and Sauvignon Blanc.
I love that the collection is sustainably conscious and made with lighter bottles, 100% brown recycled paper labels, and natural corks that are recyclable.
I feel that wine goes with really anything and especially chocolate, or even better… chocolate cupcakes. The classic Cabernet Sauvignon from Dreaming tree made a perfect flavoring accompaniment to the chocolate in the cupcakes with its hints of blackberry and cherry notes.
Of course you could just drink the wine alone, but why not add it to some decadent chocolate cupcakes so you can have your wine and eat it too?
My girlfriends absolutely loved them and this is definitely something that I will be keeping in the dessert rotation – regardless if it’s award season or not!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare cupcake baking pan by lining with cupcake liners.
- In large mixing bowl, or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing in between, until incorporated. Add vinegar, red wine, and buttermilk and combine.
- In seperate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Scoop evenly into prepared baking cups and bake at 350° F for 16-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire baking rack.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Stir in red wine and red food coloring.
- Increase speed to high and slowly add in cream, then continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Decorate cupcakes!