Why does going to the movies feel like it takes all day? And it’s crazy expensive. Like, seriously, when did it start costing $50 to enjoy a movie?
I haven’t been to the movies in what feels like ages and now I remember why. It takes forever and movie prices are outrageous.
I decided to take the two littles to the movies this week since it’s been rainy and yucky and it literally takes all day. For just a 2 hour movie.
When you take into account the amount of time it takes to get the kids ready, drive to the movies, sit through the 20+ minutes of previews, watch the 2+ hour movie, then drive home then it’s been like 4 hours.
I used to love going to the movies. When I was a kid we lived right next to a movie theater. My mom would give my brother and I $20 to go to the movies and get out of the house for a while.
We would ride our bikes to the movie theater and the $20 would get us 2 movie tickets, popcorn and drink each and we would have money left over.
This is unheard of these days. Let alone letting your kids bike to the movies that is a mile away. But that’s another topic, about our culture that has changed, for another day.
Anyway, after scarfing down all that salty popcorn at the theater I wanted something sweet. When I got home I decided to whip up these cookies & cream tiramisu parfaits.
Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts but I didn’t want to make an actual tiramisu. And I just needed a little bit to tame all the salty butter that was still flooding my palate.
Adding Oreo cookies to a mascarpone whip might just be one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time.
Cookies & Cream Tiramisu Parfaits
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- In a food processor, add the Oreo cookies and pules until medium crumbs.
- In a large bowl with electric beaters, or using a stand mixer, whip together mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and coffee liqueur until fluffy. Add heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form; about 4-5 minutes.
- Divide mixture in half, leaving 1/2 in mixing bowl and adding other to separate bowl ready for use.
- With 1/2 of the mixture still in the mixing bowl, add the cocoa powder and espresso and mix until fully incorporated.
- Layer the mixture – chocolate, white, Oreo – into glasses using spoon or by adding mixture to piping bags and piping into glass.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready for use, no longer than 2-3 days covered.