Little different twist on traditional tiramisu that is made into individual parfaits and layered with crushed Oreo cookies instead of ladyfingers.
Why does going to the movies feel like it takes all day? And it’s crazy expensive. Like, seriously, when did it start costing $50 to enjoy a movie?
I haven’t been to the movies in what feels like ages and now I remember why. It takes forever and movie prices are outrageous.
I decided to take the two littles to the movies this week since it’s been rainy and yucky and it literally takes all day. For just a 2 hour movie.
When you take into account the amount of time it takes to get the kids ready, drive to the movies, sit through the 20+ minutes of previews, watch the 2+ hour movie, then drive home then it’s been like 4 hours.
I used to love going to the movies. When I was a kid we lived right next to a movie theater. My mom would give my brother and I $20 to go to the movies and get out of the house for a while.
We would ride our bikes to the movie theater and the $20 would get us 2 movie tickets, popcorn and drink each and we would have money left over.
This is unheard of these days. Let alone letting your kids bike to the movies that is a mile away. But that’s another topic, about our culture that has changed, for another day.
Anyway, after scarfing down all that salty popcorn at the theater I wanted something sweet. When I got home I decided to whip up these cookies & cream tiramisu parfaits.
Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts but I didn’t want to make an actual tiramisu. And I just needed a little bit to tame all the salty butter that was still flooding my palate.
Adding Oreo cookies to a mascarpone whip might just be one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time.
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- In a food processor, add the Oreo cookies and pules until medium crumbs.
- In a large bowl with electric beaters, or using a stand mixer, whip together mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and coffee liqueur until fluffy. Add heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form; about 4-5 minutes.
- Divide mixture in half, leaving 1/2 in mixing bowl and adding other to separate bowl ready for use.
- With 1/2 of the mixture still in the mixing bowl, add the cocoa powder and espresso and mix until fully incorporated.
- Layer the mixture – chocolate, white, Oreo – into glasses using spoon or by adding mixture to piping bags and piping into glass.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready for use, no longer than 2-3 days covered.