It has been one weird winter here this year. Usually, this time, we are knee deep in snow and I’m snow blowing the driveway every other day.
Not this year.
I think I have used the snow blower once. It snowed for a few days, just enough to accumulate about 6-8 inches of snow, I used the snow blower to clear the driveway, and then all melted in the weeks after.
And now it’ll snow occasionally but then not be enough to accumulate or what does accumulate, melts the next day when the sun comes out for a little while. Meh.
While we haven’t had much snow on the ground this winter, it still has been super cold and rainy. The temp is just hovering over the freezing point so instead of snow we get rain.
As much as I’m not a fan of snow, I’d much rather have that then icy, frozen rain. Then with so much rain, the roads are just nasty and covered in a thin layer of ice and driving is treacherous.
So I tend not to leave the house much during these yucky days.
Anyway, with it being so gloomy and rainy out I’m still knee deep in the soup spirit. So to try and fight the rainy weather and freezing temps I whipped up a batch of creamy chicken mushroom soup.
This soup makes me feel not so bad about the crappy weather we are having and keeps me warm while seeing the freezing rain outside while cuddled under a blanket on the couch watching reruns on HGTV.
And I’ve discovered that the baby absolutely loves mushroom soup. Seriously. I served her some and she about ate 3 little baby bowls full. Who knew?
So I’d say this was a winner!
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in pan and cook through. Remove from pan and let cool before shredding with a fork.
- In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrots, and celery; cooking, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent and vegetable are soft.
- Whisk in flour and thyme until lightly browned then add shredded chicken and chicken stock. Cook until slightly thickened and heated through; about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook until cream is heated through then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately garnished with more thyme or rosemary.