This post was sponsored by Alaska Seafood as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Cuban food and flavors have always been a favorite of mine. I think it might be a default of growing up in Florida and having an abundant availability of Cuban food and seafood that made me love it.
Honestly, I don’t think I know one person from Florida that doesn’t love Cuban food. If you’ve met one… please let me know. Haha
Now that we’ve been living here in Michigan I cannot get the same Cuban food that I used to in Florida. I didn’t really realize that I was missing it until I decided to make this Cuban inspired Salmon dish.
The flavors brought me back to the times when the hubby and I would head for a little date night out at this tiny little Cuban restaurant in town. They seriously had the best food.
So when I teamed up with Alaska Seafood for a blog series, I just knew that I had to make a Cuban Salmon.
Salmon is also a favorite of mine and another thing I miss about living in Florida. All the abundant availability of fresh, local seafood they had.
Luckily, though, I don’t have to settle for the farm raised salmon when doing my grocery shopping because Alaska salmon wild caught, is imported, and always fresh.
Cooking fresh Alaska seafood is also easy to do year round, even in the middle of winter here, when most of the seafood I see at the store is frozen or farm raised. Alaska salmon is also natural, sustainable, and of the highest quality and can always be found behind the counter at my store.
I love that salmon is actually one of the fish choices that my kids will eat. Most of the time they just stick their nose up at any kind of seafood or anything that has the word “healthy” in it.
My 10-year-old absolutely loves salmon and actually ended up eating 3 servings from this dish and was practically salivating when I took it out of the oven.
The marinade for this salmon turned out to be the perfect reminder of that Cuban food that I love (and miss) so much about living in Florida. I will definitely be using the marinade for more Cuban inspired dishes coming up.
Cuban Salmon in Foil
- 2 lb wild caught salmon filet
- 2 avocados pitted and diced
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion finely diced
- Using a large baking sheet, place 1 sheet of foil on top. Place salmon filet on top of foil and curl edges slightly around salmon.
- In a medium bowl, add all marinade ingredients and whisk to combine. Pour over salmon and pull foil up and over salmon and close top. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place salmon in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until your desired doneness is reached.
- While salmon is cooking, make the avocado salsa by combining all ingredients in a large bowl and stirring to combine.
- When salmon is finished cooking, let cool for 5 minutes. Top with avocado salsa mixture and serve immediately.