Take your donuts and bake them in muffin form with a sweet glaze for the perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Here I am sitting on the couch in my scrub pants and a t-shirt. My hair is soaking wet from just getting out of the shower and the house in in a state of utter chaos.
The baby talking away in her little jumpy, the toddler is running around asking for juice, and the oldest is playing video games with the hubby.
Here’s to a relaxing night at home.
And I am just writing a blog post about these donut muffins that I made the other night.
It’s spring break this week and even though we didn’t get to plan a trip this year like I wanted, I know we won’t be just sitting in the house doing nothing and playing video games all day.
Or at least I hope. One can only hope with the craziness of the hubby’s schedule and his desire to just relax on any and all days that he has off.
So I made donut muffins for in the morning if we decide to leave early to head to Chicago or go to Kalamazoo or wherever and do a little sight-seeing and shopping.
Chicago is actually in our plans for a couple days instead of just heading there for a few hours.
We’ve been to Chicago quite a few times since living here but it’s always just for the day. And no matter what we do or if we do something different than we did last time, I always still feel like we haven’t seen it all. Which is justified because Chicago is a big city. So we’ve planned a couple days trip there… we’ll see how it turns out.
But, it’s currently raining outside so not sure how well it will work out.
We went to Grand Rapids yesterday and these donut muffins came in handy then. They make for the perfect quick, take along breakfast, or just as a little snack for the kids on a long drive.
Plus, donuts. In muffin form. Duh.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, or bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter and both sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing in between and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and vegetable oil and combine.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add milk and stir to combine.
- Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pan, filling each 2/3 full. Bate at 425° F for 14-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in tin for about 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- While muffins are baking, add melted butter, powdered sugar and vanilla to small bowl and whisk to combine and “melt” the powdered sugar. Add water slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- When muffins have cooled completely, dip top of muffin in glaze mixture, then turn right-side up to allow glaze to harden. Serve immediately.