Double. Chocolate. Banana. Bread.
I went on a baking spree this past weekend and made all the things. One of those things was this double chocolate banana bread. I also made a skillet cookie – that’s coming soon – and a few other treats.
Now my kitchen is filled with baked goods and the kids are asking for sweets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Haha!
I had a ton of over-ripe bananas sitting on the counter and instead of just making plain, regular banana bread I thought… why not add chocolate and chocolate chips?
The kids love anything that is chocolate and has chocolate chips so I knew it would be a hit. Honestly, regular banana bread would have been a hit also but it just seemed more fun to make it chocolate.
Let’s get baking…
Start by preheating your over to 350° F and spraying a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. You could also spread it with a thin layer of butter and some flour or line with parchment but I’m lazy so I go the cooking spray route.
In a large mixing bowl, or a stand mixer, mash together over-ripe bananas (the more over-ripe the better), eggs, and melted butter.
Add your flour, brown sugar, regular sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder and mxi to just combine the ingredients. Just combined means that you don’t see any more streaks of flour, sugar, or powders in there and everything is incorporated together.
Gently stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into your greased loaf pan. Bake at 350° F for about an hour and twenty minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are ok.
The loaf also won’t juggle too much when you shake the pan slightly.
Let it cool in the pan until you can touch it then turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar on top, if you want to, then slice and serve!
I usually serve it just slightly warm with a little powdered sugar for the kiddos. The chocolate chips are still slightly melted in the middle with that and they love it.
Of course, they get crumbs all over the floor and counter, but whatevs. They’re happy and quiet for a few minutes and it’s all worth it.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 4 medium bananas over-ripe
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare 9 x 5 loaf pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large bowl with whisk, add bananas, eggs, and melted butter, Mix to combine and mash bananas.
- Add flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chips,
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350° F for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on cooling rack to touch, then remove from pan to cool completely.