Writing words is hard, ya’ll! I’ve had this post in my to-write list for what seems like forever. So here I am sitting down writing about absolutely nothing, again.
I even enrolled in an online writing class to see if it would help me get un-stuck and so far I’m still feeling defeated. I don’t know what it is but the blinking cursor of death is literally the death of me. I never know what to write for these “intro” paragraphs that isn’t a bunch of rubbish.
No, I’m not British but that word seemed fitting at the current moment.
Anyway, let’s jump in… shall we?
This delish Green Chile Chorizo Queso Fundido is my newest obsession and favorite thing to make on the weekends. I mean, who doesn’t love melty cheese with chorizo?!?
I even added some dark beer to this batch to deepen some flavors and I have to say this might be my favorite queso yet! I love experimenting with all different style quesos and I always find myself going back to some with beans and meat.
Don’t get me wrong, I love just the cheese queso but add some beans and meat and I’m definitely a happy camper.
Start by pre-heating your oven to 400° F. Shred all your cheese into a large bowl and add the flour. Toss to combine and set aside.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the chorizo. Let it cook through, breaking apart as needed, while also letting it get nice and crispy.
Add the onions and garlic and stir then continue cooking until the onions are translucent, the chorizo is nice and crispy, and most of the fat is rendered. Remove the chorizo mixture with a slotted spoon to a clean plate and set aside.
Deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping all the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan and letting them simmer in the beer. Grab your whisk and start whisking the hell out of the beer while adding small handfuls of cheese.
Keep whisking and adding cheese until it’s all incorporated, melty, and smooth. Add back the chorizo with the beans and green chiles and stir to bring it all together and coat with the cheese.
Remove from the stove and place in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Remove from the oven and top with some fresh chopped tomatoes, if desired, and some green onions for color. Serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips and another beer!
This, my friends, will definitely be a hit with your family!
Green Chile Chorizo Queso Fundido
- 1/2 cup Oaxaca cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb chorizo
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup brown ale beer
- 1/2 cup pinto beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, add shredded cheese and flour and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, add the chorizo and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until it starts to get crispy.
- Add onion and garlic, stir to combine, and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent and chorizo is crispy and cooked through. Remove from skillet to clean plate.
- Pour beer into skillet to deglaze the pan, scraping brown bits from the bottom. Whisking consistently, add cheeses in small handfuls – whisking in between additions – until all cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add back the chorizo with the beans and green chilies and stir to combine. Place skillet into hot oven and bake for 5 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with green onions and tomatoes. Serve immediately with fresh tortilla chips.