Take your regular chili up a notch with this jalapeño chili made with apple cider, bacon, and fresh jalapeños.
It’s the end of September and the weather is getting cooler. It usually take me a few weeks of colder weather to get in the mood for hot soups and chilis but I was seriously craving a big pot of chili the other day.
So I made some… with jalapeños and bacon. Yes.
I’ve never really had one specific way that I make my chili. Most of the time I just grab what I have in the pantry and fridge and throw it all in the crockpot and hope for the best.
Of course it always works because chili can really be made with so many different things and a variety of different ways.
This time I decided to write down the chili recipe I made and post it here on the bloggity blog. Because this chili turned out to be fantastic!
The hubby is a huge fan of jalapeños and we had a bunch in the fridge from when he went to the grocery store last time.
It seemed fitting to add them to the chili for him and then a few raw slices on top.
My mom makes a chili that I love that has more tomatoes in it and less of the beans and beef.
Eventually that recipe will make it to the blog – like maybe when she’s here for 20 days in November to help with the new baby – because I’m sure with the cooler weather she will be craving to have her big pot of chili.
This recipe will definitely be one for me to keep and refer back to because it was gone in less than 2 days from our house.
Which means that the family really loved it… even if the weather did end up turning warmer.
I swear I base all my recipe “goodness” on whether or not my family enjoys it. If they don’t like it… it doesn’t make it to the blog.
All my recipes have got to be kid and hubby approved!
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large jalapeño diced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) jar salsa verde
- 2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans
- 2 (15 oz) cans chili beans
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
For serving & garnish
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and diced
- jalapeños sliced
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef and cook until no longer pink in center. About 6-8 minutes. Drain fat and transfer to crockpot.
- In crockpot, add cooked beef, onion, green pepper, jalapeño and stir to combine. Add apple cider, beef broth, tomato paste, salsa verde, both types of beans paprika and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Cover crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Dish out hot chili and garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños and bacon. Serve immediately.