Take your favorite lasagna dish and deconstruct it into a favorite comfort soup that takes way less time to make.
Do you ever have those days where you just want it to rain? This is exactly how I’ve felt for the past few days and it definitely does not look like it’s going to rain.
The weather people have been saying it’s supposed to rain and be cloudy but it ends up being sunny all day.
Not that I’m complaining at all that it’s sunny instead of raining, but come on people get it together.
I’ve never trusted weather people anyway. How is it possible to predict what mother nature decides to do?
Just like those computer spaghetti models of the hurricane tracking. Um… yeah those are all over the map.
Anyway, so I’ve been waiting for it to rain and I ran to the store to get some ingredients for comfort food.
Ya know, so I can enjoy while binge watching my favorite shows while the kiddos run amuck around the house.
While it’s supposed to be raining outside.
I made this lasagna soup. I’ve been meaning to make it for ages now and am just now getting around to it.
In the middle of summer.
When it’s supposed to be raining outside.
It’s literally everything that’s amazing about lasagna, just in soup form. I haven’t made a real lasagna in ages either… maybe I should do that… but I had a craving but really didn’t feel like taking the time to make my mom’s lasagna.
Her recipe is amazing and literally takes hours to make and I just wasn’t totally feeling being in the kitchen all day.
So I made a soup version instead.
My favorite thing about my mom’s lasagna is actually the ricotta parmesan cheese mixture and turns out it’s my favorite thing about this soup, too.
I made mine with a huge dollop then stirred it into the broth. Mmmmmmm…
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 lb pasta
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until sausage is browned and cooked through and onion is translucent. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste.
- Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked pasta and cook additional 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Remove from heat.
- While pasta is cooking, add ricotta, Parmesan, and oregano to small bowl and mix to combine.
- Once soup is done, ladle into bowls and top with ricotta mixture. Add additional grated Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese, if desired.