Salty capers, artichoke hearts, and your favorite beer come together with perfectly seared chicken thighs and just one pan.
One pan meals are my absolute favorite. As much as I love cooking and creating new dishes in the kitchen, I equally dislike cleaning up all the messes I make in the process.
Thankfully I have a hubby that helps me clean on the days that he is home. And on the days that he is working… it’s usually always a disaster when he comes home.
Wait… cocktail shoots can get messy too… haha!
Anyway, this one pan lemon caper beer chicken is actually inspired by and from one of my favorite bloggers, TheBeeroness. I have made several of her dishes and desserts and they never disappoint.
Today’s dish is no different. It’s packed full of fresh lemon juice for a deep lemon flavor while the salty capers provide a slight crunch and balance the tartness of the lemon.
It’s made with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs that are cooked to crispy skin perfection first before making the lemon caper sauce. The key to getting that perfect crispy skin is starting the chicken in a cold pan and letting the pan and chicken warm and cook together.
Then do not touch the chicken at all while it is cooking! Start it on the skin side then turn over once the skin is golden brown and crispy. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
Continue cooking on the other side until the chicken is cooked through then we’ll make the sauce. I actually doubled the sauce recipe because I have a large family and I also love saucy chicken. Plus, I love capers and artichokes.
And beer… cannot forget the beer. Literally everything I love is in this dish.
Print it out to make tonight or just pin for later! I guarantee this is a dish that your whole family will love. My kiddos sure did and each ate 2 bowls.
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pale ale
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 cup artichoke hearts quartered
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped, for serving
- Sprinkle chicken on all sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in cold cast iron skillet, skin side down.
- Put skillet, with chicken, on stove and heat to medium letting chicken come to temperature with the skillet. Do not touch or move the chicken for 15-20 minutes – until skin is crispy and browned.
- Turn over chicken and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes on other side – until chicken is cooked through.
- While cooking chicken, add beer, broth, and corn starch to medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice and stir to combine.
- When chicken is finished cooking, remove to clean plate and pour off rendered fat.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and deglaze pan with the sauce in the bowl. Add artichoke hearts and capers and stir to combine. Let simmer for about 4-5 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Add chicken back to pan and coat with sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes until chicken has warmed through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately topped with fresh parsley.