Gorgeous Chicken and Barley soup from fellow food blogger, Richa Gupta at My Food Story.
Hey Guys! I’m so excited to be posting on Jennifer’s blog today and I’m bringing to you this spunky Mexican Chicken Barley Soup.
We love Mexican flavours at home and I’m always trying out new recipes to include them. Some recipes stay and become favourites while some are forgotten pretty easily.
This is definitely one of those that stay and are made over and over again. Pretty much every week in fact.
I’ve been incorporating a lot of whole grains in my cooking lately and barley is something I cook with regularly.
Because of its chewy texture, it’s perfect for soups and stews. Plus it makes them hearty and filling.
This is definitely a hearty soup and an easy meal option for weekdays when you aren’t in the mood for too much work.
Enjoy the bowl topped with tortilla chips, lots of cilantro, chopped red onions and a dollop of sour cream if you are feeling indulgent!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1 jalapeño deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup pearl barley cleaned
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Heat oil in a large pot and add onions and garlic to it. Salute till the onions are cooked and add tomatoes.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes and add chopped bell peppers, taco seasoning and jalapeños. Let the bell peppers cook for a few minutes while you prepare the chicken.
- Cube the chicken breast into 1/2 inch cubes, and add it to the pot along with barley, stock and salt.
- Bring this to a boil and then simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes till the barley is cooked through and the soup thickens up. Add a little more stock if required.
- Let the soup sit for 5-10 minutes. This helps develop the flavours.
- Serve hot, topped with all the toppings you like!