Went on a baking spree this weekend and these Mexican chocolate cookies were one of the new things I made! Ya’ll these might just be my new favorite behind the brown sugar beer cookies that I made a few years ago.
They are loosely based on my classic chocolate chip cookie but with a little twist and added cocoa powder.
I didn’t put chocolate chips in this particular batch but I might just have to try that next time. However, I did roll these bad boys in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking and then sprinkled extra on top as soon as they came out of the oven.
Seriously, so delish!
Start by preheating your oven to 350° F and then lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spraying with nonstick cooking spray. I prefer the parchment because the cookies literally just slide off when they come out of the oven.
There’s also virtually no cleanup since you just throw the parchment away and it protects the cookie sheet. Plus, you can use the same parchment for the whole batch of cookies.
Now, cream together your butter and sugars until they are fully incorporated and fluffy. Add your eggs and vanilla then mix until just combined.
Finally add the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and cocoa powder and mix until just incorporated.
In a separate bowl, add a small amount of cinnamon and sugar and mix with a fork to combine. Scoop out the cookies using a cookie scoop and roll them into balls, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place them on the cookie sheet and bake at 350° F for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are just set and the middle still looks gooey and underdone.
For my oven, I can cook then right at 9 minutes and they come out perfectly every time.
Let them cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes and sprinkle the tops with more cinnamon sugar while they’re cooling. Then move to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Be sure to eat one when they are still warm dunked into a glass of cold milk. Oh yeah! Gooey, chocolatey with a hint of cinnamon and that cinnamon sugar coating…. Ah!
Mexican Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with electric beaters, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar, until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix to just combine. Mix in cinnamon ,baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for rolling the dough balls.
- Using a cookies scoop, scoop the dough out and roll into a ball. Drop the ball into the cinnamon/sugar mixture and roll to coat completely.
- Place the dough ball onto the baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough -spacing cookies evenly.
- Bake at 350° F for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are just set and the center is still puffy and slightly gooey.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.