I think it’s safe to say that my current favorite thing to do is cook with beer. Since I cannot actually drink the beer, I might as well cook with it, right?
Plus, pumpkin beer is one of the main reasons I look forward to fall every year. Some people love the fall weather, the changing leaves, whatever… me, I’m here for the pumpkin beer.
The cooler weather is nice too but I’m mainly here for the beer.
Especially when we lived in Florida… there aren’t really any seasons there, it’s just hot all. the. time. so the addition of pumpkin beer to the grocery store shelves was and is nice to see this time.
Unfortunately, I still have a little less then 4 weeks before I am officially able to drink beer again.
Lovely, sweet, hoppy beer. mmmmmmmmm….
While I did buy a 6 pack of my favorite pumpkin beer for this recipe, it is patiently awaiting the time for it to be able to be enjoyed in the back of my fridge.
The hubby doesn’t like pumpkin beer = more for me! muahahahaha.
Anyway, I am also a huge fan of cornbread. Homemade cornbread. None of that pre-made, all you have to do is add eggs and water, type cornbread.
There’s just something about the smell of homemade cornbread while it’s baking in the oven that makes my mouth water.
And since it is fall, it just felt right to make a pumpkin style cornbread with my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkin beer cornbread is baked in a cast iron skillet to create a crispy outside while still remaining soft and fluffy and perfectly cornbread-ey (it’s totally a word!) in the center.
Yep… this will be making a debut at our Thanksgiving table this year. Or maybe I’ll make another batch this week, just because.
Pumpkin Beer Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pumpkin beer
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 400° F and place a 9″ cast iron skillet inside to preheat also.
- In large bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add pumpkin puree, eggs, sour cream, and pumpkin beer and mix until just combined.
- With an oven mitt, remove the hot cast iron skillet from oven and add the 2 Tbsp. butter. Swirl around in pan until it is fully melted and pan is completely coated.
- Pour batter into skillet and bake at 400° F for 18-20 minutes or until done and top of cornbread springs back with lightly touched.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes then slice and serve warm.