These thick coffee-cake like donuts made with pumpkin, spice cake, and a crumble topping are the perfect morning treat.
Is that a thing? No? I’m making it a thing. Since I love donuts and believe that you can and should eat donuts whenever you feel like it. Even on Mondays.
This is also the second pumpkin recipe that I have posted and there are tons more to come!
It’s been fall for about a month now and while I love fall, I just haven’t been feeling into the season or spirit. It’s been getting colder outside and I’m just not ready.
But ever since coming back from being on vacation last week I starting to feel more fall-ish and have been baking up a storm in the kitchen with all the pumpkin flavored things I can make!
My neighbors love me right now because I know that I cannot eat all these delish treats that I am making (though I do try) so I give little gifts to the neighbors.
I have to make sure that the adults answer the door though or they won’t make it past the front porch.
I found this out recently when I was at their house and asked them how they enjoyed the red velvet donuts I made. She gave me a puzzled look and said she didn’t know what I was talking about.
Apparently, after I gave them to one of their kids that opened the door, the donuts never made it back to the kitchen. They were devoured on the spot.
So from now on, I have to hand them to one of the adults. But the kids loved them, so I guess that’s a win?
When I first bought a donut pan I had great intentions of making donuts. Unfortunately the pan sat in the cabinet for about a year before I decided to pull it out and make homemade donuts.
Now, the pan gets used quite regularly and these pumpkin spice crumble donuts might just be one of my favorites… behind the red velvet donuts, of course.
They are light and packed with pumpkin and spice flavor. Started with a base of cake mix, because everything’s better with cake mix, and then topped with a streusel crumble topping and drizzled with sweet glaze.
Perfect for fall with a hot cup of your favorite coffee or tea.
- 1 (16.25 oz) box spice cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, and butter until well combined. Pour batter into gallon-sized bag and snip off one corner. Pipe batter into donut pan, filling about 1/2 way.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice, and melted butter. Stir until combined and crumbly. Spoon by 1 Tbsp. onto filled donut pans.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk. Spoon glaze over donuts in zig-zag pattern, or as desired.
- Serve immediately.