Quick and easy, one pan, roasted chicken thighs tossed in a lemon, ranch, and dill mixture and baked to perfections with some diced red potatoes.
Happy Monday, everyone! It’s been such a beautiful weekend – the sun was shining and it was so nice and sunny outside! Only, it was still about 30ish degrees and cold.
Now it’s back to rainy and gloomy…
BUT! Sunshine means that spring and summer are on their way and I cannot wait. They are definitely my favorite seasons.
Yes, I am a Florida girl through and through. Winter, gloomy weather, snow and slush are not for me. Give me sunny days, backyard BBQs, and cocktails by the pool any day over winter.
Anyway, with spring and summer come much easier and simple meals to make for the family – crock pot, one pan, sheet pan, and the like. Normally, I’m not much of one to “slave over the stove” for hours to make dinner, or any meal really, for the family… I’ve always been in the mindset of simple and easy… but definitely even more so in the spring and summer months.
I love being outside during the this time and slaving away at the stove all day just isn’t as appealing as it *cough cough* might be during the winter. I mean, since it is winter and I can’t really go anywhere anyway, I usually take a little more time to put together a meal for the fam.
This ranch roasted chicken is one of my favorite easy meals. It’s not all that quick because it takes about 45 minutes for the chicken to cook in the oven; however, it only has a 10-15 minute prep time then you can head back outside and finish your cocktail and enjoy the sunny day while the food is cooking. Which is perfect.
I’ve been making this dish, or several variations of it, for years now. I usually just season the chicken differently – like this lemon roasted chicken or this buffalo chicken – or add different veggies to the pan with the potatoes. But no matter what I do, it’s always one of the kids favorite things. And mine too because it’s easy yet seriously delish.
- 4 bone-in chicken legs & thighs
- 1 lb red potatoes 1-inch dice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package ranch dip mix
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 450° F and spray 9×13 (or larger) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss diced potatoes with olive oil, about 3/4 of the ranch seasoning packet, and 1/2 of the fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread into single layer as much as possible.
- Using same large bowl, place chicken thighs and toss with remaining ranch mix and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place chicken thighs on top of potatoes in baking dish.
- Bake at 450° F for 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are soft.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining dill and chopped fresh chives. Let cool for about 10 minutes then serve.