Beautiful red velvet donuts made from scratch, baked, and topped with a cream cheese frosting.
It has been absolutely gorgeous outside and I have been glued to this computer all weekend building another website.
What is wrong with me? Haha
Seriously, though, as soon as I get started on a project or web designing I just can’t stop or take a break until it’s done. Does this happen to anyone else, too?
I also have to make it just perfect – though I know that a website will never be perfect because of different web browsers, tastes, etc. It’s maddening. I don’t know why I do this to myself.
However, today I am taking a break and stepping away from the computer for a while. The hubs is going to be sleeping most of the day because he worked an overnight shift last night and just walked in the door about 30 minutes ago, so I thought I would be the perfect time to get out of the house with the baby.
I have a black tie event in about a month that we will be attending and I have absolutely no idea what I am going to wear. What does one wear to an event like that? I don’t even have the slightest clue and my Pinterest searches didn’t turn to be much help so I’m just going to head out to do some shopping and see what I can find.
I just assume that I will need a long gown of some type, since I do believe that wearing a cocktail dress during these events is frowned upon, and I’ll go from there. Hopefully my blind searching will turn up something good.
And if you have any tips on what I would wear, can you add them in the comments below? I would love to hear your thoughts!
Anyway, even though I was stuck to the computer all weekend, I did make some donuts. That has to count for something, right? And I didn’t even make regular donuts, I made some red velvet donuts!
They turned out perfect. Soft and chewy without being too cakey and just enough sweetness with the cream cheese frosting drizzled over top. Yum!
Too bad they didn’t last in my house more than an hour or I would go up and get one right now, my mouth is watering just thinking about them.
Red Velvet Donuts
Beautiful red velvet donuts made from scratch, baked, and topped with a cream cheese frosting - perfect weekend breakfast!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare donut pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl, or stand mixer, mix together all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar until combined. Add milk, oil, egg, red food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix until combined and batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into gallon-sized ziploc bag and cut off small triangle from the corner. Pipe batter into prepared donut pan until about 1/2 full.
Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes or until donuts are set. Pull out of oven and let cool in pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- While donuts are cooking and cooling, mix powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and milk in small bowl until combined.
- Add frosting to another ziploc bag with corner cut off (or icing bag) and decorate donuts using back and forth motion, or as you would like to.
- Serve immediately.