Delicious meatball recipe made with ricotta and parmesan cheese in the mix and topped with a red wine tomato sauce.
It has been one weird winter this year. Raining one day, snowing the next, warm one day, freezing and ice covered streets the next.
The first winter we moved here was apparently the worst that Michigan had seen in over 15 years. We got over 20 inches of snow overnight the first week of November and it just did not stop for the remainder of winter until well into April.
That winter the hubby was also on an OB rotation and I was pregnant with our second baby. Which was unfortunate. At the time, we both had front-wheel drive cars.
Yes, cars. Not trucks or SUVs. Cars.
So when he would get called in for a baby delivery, he would always end up getting stuck in the snow in front of our house.
For some reason the city didn’t think that plowing the streets was necessary that year?
I dunno… anyway, he would get called in and get in his car and get stuck. Then big ‘ole pregnant me would have to attempt to put on my snow boots and jacket to try and push him out so he could get to the hospital. Sometimes at like 2 or 3 am.
What a nightmare.
Then the winters have just been weird. I’m not a fan of the snow but if I’m going to live in a state where it snows, then I want to at least have a white Christmas. That did not happen this year.
This year it rained on Christmas. Bummer. And it’s been raining, sleeting, snowing on and off since. I just want warm again.
But since I can’t have warm and summer… I’m still enjoying making all the comfort food to enjoy. These red wine meatballs are my new favorite way to make meatballs.
I’ve made a few batches and then just sat and ate meatballs covered in sauce all day long. No pasta. No shame.
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Red Wine Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- Preheat oven to 475° F and spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add milk and breadcrumbs and stir to combine until breadcrumbs have absorbed the milk.
- Add ground beef, ricotta, parsley, Parmesan cheese, egg, 2 garlic cloves, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Divide equally into 12 portions then roll into meatballs.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 475° until browned and cooked through, about 18-20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat a skillet or saucepan over medium high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until fragrant and onions are slightly translucent. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the red wine and bring to simmer. Cook until reduced by about 1/2, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and beef stock then reduce heat to medium low. Add meatballs to sauce and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over pasta or just alone topped with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.