My best friend is leaving me tomorrow. She has accepted a new job in Missouri and will be moving away.
I’m doing my best to keep myself together until later and I’m not a blubbering mess when she comes over later today. We’re having a little doggie (and people) farewell party with just us and her little family.
When she moved here 4 years ago to start residency with my hubby, she was the first friend I met.
Her and my husband sat next to each other in lecture they had and started talking about random things… like people who first meet usually do.
I think he heard that she had a dog and he asked her what kind. She responded with, “oh, it’s some fancy breed that not many people have heard of before.” To which he said, “really? What kind?”
It was a corgi.
And a best friendship was born.
He invited her over for a “corgi party” (because we had two corgis at the time) and for an informal dinner and beers. She called the day she was going to come over and asked if she could bring her parents.
I remember her saying, “well, my parents decided to make a quick trip up so I can bring them over if you don’t mind or we can reschedule for another day.”
Well, we ended up meeting her parents that same day too. Talk about first date jitters. haha!
Now here we are, 4 years later and she has become one of the best friends I have known and hopefully will continue to know (and so have her parents).
We have been through a lot together… many, many shopping trips, many backyard BBQs, many more parent meetings and hanging out, me having two kids, 8 birthdays between us, her having her first baby, and now us parting ways – us to stay here for another year and her to start her new job 7 hours away.
Luckily she is only 7 hours away and I can just get in the car and drive down when she has a free weekend or week and we can get the kids together and do more epic shopping trips.
She will be very missed but we will be friends forever.
Shredded Chicken Poblano Tacos
- 3 large poblano peppers
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 500° F. Place peppers on baking sheet and bake on top rack for 20-30 minutes, turning 1/2 way through, until peppers are charred**
- Remove from oven and cover with foil for about 10 minutes to let the steam soften the skin and peppers. Once peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off skins, seed, and slice.
- While peppers are in oven, whisk together in medium bowl the chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, garlic, onion, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add half of dressing mixture.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook, 8-10 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from skillet to clean plate and shred with two forks (or using electric beaters).
- Drizzle remaining dressing over shredded chicken and stir to coat.
- Assemble tacos by adding chicken and poblanos to tortilla shells the topping with queso fresco cheese (or cheese of choice) and any other toppings desired.