Super simple Asian style cheater Pho soup made with shrimp and rice noodles and kicked up with sriracha sauce.
Super easy to make, the taste comes across very authentic and yet familiar.
Its a pretty healthy soup as well, light, low residue, low calorie, yet very filling!
You can add green onions or Chinese vegetables such as Bok Choy, and even substitute them for the shrimp if you want to make it more vegetarian/vegan friendly.
I played around with this recipe and used chicken instead of shrimp, and it came out great as well.
If you want it a little heavier, add some soy or hoisin to the broth.
Omit the spice, and the kids loved it! Huge hit for the whole family and really quick to make.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 star anise pods cracked
- 2 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 4 oz rice noodles
- 1 lime juiced
- fresh cilantro
- sriracha sauce
- fresh mint leaves
- In a large stockpot, add chicken broth and star anise pods. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer to infuse flavors for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sriracha, shrimp and celery and cook until shrimp is just pink and the celery is soft; about 10 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook until al dente; additional 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve immediately topped with sliced scallions, fresh cilantro, sriracha sauce, and mint leaves if desired.