Lighten up your traditional chicken parmesan by making this summer version with fresh, sauteéd zucchini and cherry tomatoes instead of pasta.
We have a new addition to the Meyering clan! And I couldn’t be more in love with this little guy!
I had a scheduled c-section on 4/9 and then was in the hospital for 2 days… per usual. The delivery was a little brutal this time as my spinal didn’t work on one side of my body but recovery has been amazing and we’re happy to be home. And super glad that this is the last baby and last c-section that I have to have ever.
It’s funny, tho, this hospital has resident physicians and whenever they came to round on me before the attending came in, they always said… “ok, just a couple more days and then you can go home.”
Then as soon as the attending physician came in they would always say, “well, looks like you’re ready to go. Let’s get you out of here.”
I do have to say that quick recovery and being married to a ER doc has it’s perks. I definitely don’t like being in the hospital and the quicker I can get out and be home the better!
Anyway, we’ve been home and enjoying snuggling on our new addition to the fam. It’s so surreal to know that I now have 4 kids! Yikes!
Honestly, I never thought when I was younger that I would even have kids and now here I am 4 deep! Lol… but no more for this girl.
We are D-O-N-E!
So I actually made and shot this delicious summer chicken parmesan recipe you see here a few weeks ago while I was still super preggo. It was perfect for my gestational diabetes that I had since it doesn’t have any pasta making it high in carbs.
The swap from the pasta to the roasted veggies didn’t even make me miss the pasta and it was still just as filling as the regular version… just lightened up a little. But still with tons of melty mozzarella cheese on top.
I mean, you can’t have chicken parmesan without melted mozzarella. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups zucchini chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 450° F and spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with aluminum foil.
- In separate shallow dishes, place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge each chicken breast in flour, then coat in egg, and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and turn oven to broil setting.
- Top chicken breasts with equal amounts of parmesan cheese. Return to oven and let broil until cheese is melted; about 1-2 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, add olive oil to medium sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and zucchini to pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes until slightly soft. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, top chicken breast with equal amounts of zucchini and tomato sauté mixture and chiffonaded basil leaves.