Light and refreshing pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes and roasted asparagus that is perfect for your next cookout!
I am a big pasta fan. Actually, I just love carbs. All carbs.
But even though I love carbs, pasta salads aren’t really on the top of my list of “favorite things.” Usually they’re bursting at the seams with mayo and other thick, fattening ingredients. Which, of course, isn’t bad… if that’s your thing.
So like when my hubby goes to the store to get some fried chicken (when I don’t feel like cooking) he always picks up some pasta and potato salad there.
Those pre-made pasta salads are the ones that I find just terrible, but my kids love them.
Anyway, when I stumbled on this recipe from my friend Byron over at Lord Byron’s Kitchen, I knew I just had to make it.
It sounded so delicious and there was nothing in there with the word mayo or similar. Sold.
Instead it has a nice, tangy lemon juice based dressing that is so light but so flavorful that I just about ate this entire bowl (seriously) in one sitting.
And that is a big bowl. haha
And with the savory/sweet combination from the sun-dried tomatoes and asparagus, it just made my taste buds and tummy super happy!
This pasta salad will definitely be on my short list of things to make when we have our next backyard BBQ or I’m asked to bring a dish for a potluck party.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 lb pasta
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° F and spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop asparagus into bite sized pieces then toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread evenly, into single layer, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While asparagus is roasting, cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Strain and toss in medium bowl with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and allow to cool.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, butter, parsley, Parmesan, green onions, and asparagus. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate until cold before serving.