There is nothing better than a big slice of cornbread while you’re eating a big bowl of chili or soup. I definitely don’t make it enough, and that’ll have to change, but I do love me some cornbread.
No, it’s not that I don’t make it enough. It’s that I usually don’t think about it until I’m ready to sit down with said bowl of chili and realize I’m missing something. Ha!
I’ve also been on the hunt for a specific cornbread recipe that I have not had luck to recreate fully yet.
A few years ago we went to a friend’s house for dinner and she had made some cornbread. It was seriously the best I’ve ever had. I didn’t even think to ask her for the recipe at the time and we’ve since moved away and lost touch.
Since then, I’ve been making cornbread whenever I remember and tweaking the recipe every time to see how close I can get to hers.
This one is almost there. It’s not her recipe, but it is pretty perfect. Also, don’t let the name fool you – it does have “sweet” in the title but it’s not a cake sweet cornbread. There’s still bite from the cornmeal and just a hint of sweetness from the honey added to the batter.
This recipe can also be made in a cast iron skillet or in a regular baking pan as well. I prefer the cast iron skillet but for these photos I did the baking pan.
Start by preheating your oven to 400° F and placing 1 Tbsp of butter in a cast iron skillet and putting it in the oven. Let the butter melt fully but don’t burn it.
Remove from oven and swirl to coat the pan.
While that’s melting, grab a medium bowl and whisk together your cornmeal, flour ,sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
Add melted butter, eggs, honey, and milk and whisk until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 400° F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean with just a few crumbs.
Let pan cool to touch then slice and serve.
If you do want your cornbread a little sweeter, top with some more honey or honey butter.
Sweet Honey Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and place the 1 Tbsp of butter into a cast iron skillet and place skillet in oven until the butter melts. Remove from oven and swirl around pan to coat.
- Alternatively, you can use the butter to liberally grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Add melted butter, eggs, honey, and milk and whisk to combine. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 400° F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs attached.
- Cut into wedges or squares and serve immediately.