Quick and simple Thai inspired stir fry with rice noodles and marinated steak that is perfect for any night of the week.
Rainy days make me feel like doing nothing but sleeping. Like, all I want to do all day is sleep. However, I cannot. Kids.
So instead I’m sitting here on the couch writing this post, watching endless hours of Food Network, and debating on whether or not I want to go downstairs and do my workout for the day. I really should do my workout.
Good thing I’ve got my energize to help give me some liquid motivation to get it done because sleeping sounds like a much better option than anything else right now.
Especially working out.
Rainy days are just blah. I realize that I could never live in the Pacific Northwest in any of the cities or states where it rains more days that it is sunny. This girl is warm blooded and needs daily doses of vitamin D to function properly.
If not, I just want to curl up in bed or on the couch and sleep the day away. Or binge watch my favorite shows that I haven’t caught up on in for-ev-ver.
It feels like as soon as winter is just about almost over here it just starts in on the rainy season and instead of snowing, it rains all day every day. Still grey and gloomy and just yuck.
Fortunately it’s almost over and there are a few sunny sprinkling of nice days in there every once in a while.
Like on the day I made and shot this Thai Rice Noodle & Steak Stir-Fry dish. Even though it was still chilly outside we actually ended up eating dinner on the patio. The sun felt so nice on our faces while we enjoyed this quick dinner.
- 4 limes divided
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce divided
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb flank steak
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 2 carrots thinly bias-sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh asparagus chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- In a small bowl, zest and juice 2 of the limes. Whisk in 1 Tbsp each of fish sauce and sugar, and all of the oil and garlic.
- Add steak to resealable bag and pour marinade over top. Seal and turn to coat steak. Let sit and marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water and cook rice noodles, according to package directions, until al dente. Drain.
- While noodles are cooking, zest and juice remaining two limes and whisk in remaining fish sauce, sugar, 1 Tbsp water, and red pepper flakes. Pour over rice noodles and toss to coat.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak to pan, pouring remaining marinade over top of steak, and cook, turning once, for about 10-15 minutes per side; or until desired doneness is reached. Remove from heat, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using the same pan that you cooked the steak in, over medium-high heat, add carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly soft.
- Add sliced peppers and asparagus and cook additional 3-4 minutes, until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Slice the steak across the grain and stir in with cooked veggies. Add noodles to bowls and place steak/veggie mixture on top.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, mint leaves, and extra limes. Serve immediately.